• Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • ellend1
    Erfahrener Benutzer

[gelöst] Property Transfers

Jahr, aus dem der Begriff stammt: 1550
    Region, aus der der Begriff stammt: Bockau, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony

I received a number of pages from a book that seems to be detailing property transfers in Bockau between 1560 and 1841. I attached a photo of one page.

I think I understand the general idea: the property is sold from the person named on the left to the person named on the right. It states the year of the transaction and the amount paid (in florins?). And the property being referred to is highlighted in the gray box.

Does anyone know what would be the significance of the ratio that is written to the left of the year? Maybe it is a portion of the property? But why do some quantities have a (+) sign written in the front?

Also, in the page I attached - Valten FRIEDRICH is my ancestor. He sold the property (or some of the property) to his son (Paul) in 1556. On the left page, it seems to indicate that Valten FRIEDRICH owned the property in 1536. What would the "Turkensteuerregister 1542" refer to? I am not good with history. My translator says it means "Turkish Tax Registry."

Thank you for any input.

Regards,

Ellen
    Angehängte Dateien
  • Gastonian

Hi Ellen:

Zitat von ellend1 Beitrag anzeigen
    I think I understand the general idea: the property is sold from the person named on the left to the person named on the right. It states the year of the transaction and the amount paid (in florins?). And the property being referred to is highlighted in the gray box.

Correct

Does anyone know what would be the significance of the ratio that is written to the left of the year? Maybe it is a portion of the property? But why do some quantities have a (+) sign written in the front?

I believe these are abbreviated references to the archival sources for the property transactions. One would need a list of abbreviations or guide to the tables (probably in the introductory material to the book) to be sure.

Also, in the page I attached - Valten FRIEDRICH is my ancestor. He sold the property (or some of the property) to his son (Paul) in 1556. On the left page, it seems to indicate that Valten FRIEDRICH owned the property in 1536. What would the "Turkensteuerregister 1542" refer to? I am not good with history. My translator says it means "Turkish Tax Registry."

Yes, the first Valten Friedrich owned this property in 1536 and in 1550 (as noted in the "Amtserbbuch" or district land title books) and then sold it in 1556 to his son Paul. Paul Friedrich is noted as owning it in 1560 in "Bock Chron." (Bock's local chronicle?).

The "Türkensteuerregister" is an empire-wide register of taxpayers and their payments of an imperial tax to pay for the army raised to ward off the Turkish threat (the Ottoman Turks had besieged Vienna in 1529 and from their stronghold in Hungary were threatening another invasion). This is an important source of information for heads of households in the early 1540s. What is noted here (with the exclamation mark) is that Valten Friedrich does NOT appear in this list.

Best regards

--Carl-Henry
    Meine Ahnentafel: https://gw.geneanet.org/schwind1_w?iz=2&n=schwind1&oc=0&p=privat

Kommentar

• Kasstor
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi, Ellen,

I don´t think it is a ratio but does indicate Vol/ No.
      The + may indicate a purchase following the death of the former owner, son had to buy the estate from the widow and/ or other children (?).
      The Tuerkensteuerregister was a register listing general property and head tax amounts to be intended for covering expenses due to the war against the Ottoman Empire, I recommend translating this German wikipedia-entry

Regards,

Thomas
      Zuletzt geändert von Kasstor; 13.01.2022, 22:05.
      FN Pein (Quickborn vor 1830), FN Hinsch (Poppenbüttel, Schenefeld), FN Holle (Hamburg, Lüchow?), FN Ludwig/Niesel (Frankenstein/Habelschwerdt) FN Tönnies (Meelva bei Karuse-Estland, später Hamburg), FN Lindloff (Altona, Lüneburg, Suderburg)

Ceterum censeo progeniem hominum esse deminuendam

Kommentar

• ellend1
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Thank you both very much. That was very informative and helpful. And I never would have found that link on my own.

Learning and understanding some of these details about my ancestors is very gratifying. It will always amaze me that I have found these property transfers circa 1550 but I do not have any papers in connection with the houses that my own parents owned!

Kind regards,

Ellen

Kommentar

Lädt...
        X