• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Skewesme
    Neuer Benutzer

Hebenstreit

First let me thank you for allowing me to join your web site. I am hopeful that someone here can help me.

I have been looking for Julius Hebenstreit born October 1862 somewhere in Germany. He Immigrated to America in 1865 and any documents I have for him say he was born in Germany. I have been to every German web site I could find. Found Hebenstreit's, but no Julius. His fathers name was also Julius and his mothers name was Louise Wagner

I have the same problem with his wife Caroline Joseph. She came to the United States in 1883 with her sister Clementine. Unfortunately I do not have her parents names. She was born March 1861.

I know they were married here in New York, but I am unable as yet to find thier marriage certificate. This has been a 15 year search.

If anyone out there can help me, or give me a starting point,I would be eternally grateful.

Many Thanks

Regards

Denise Skewes
  • vonahn
    Benutzer

Sorry, my English is not so good.on Family search give that one Hebenstreit maybe thats yours????i have the same problems had,bevor i come here.Perhaps help this.Many Greets Kerstin

Kommentar

• spacegirl
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi Denise,

do you have a scan of one of the documents?? I think it could be possible that the last name is Hebestreit and not Hebenstreit. This family name is common in the northern part of Thuringia (Thüringen) in the area around Nordhausen. The area around Nordhausen is also called Eichsfeld and Kyffhäuser.

I do know one Hebestreit and will ask him if he knows about an emmigrated Hebestreit. But the chance is very small that it is exactly this family. Maybe you can try and add a new request to the message board "Thüringen" on this page.

Best,
      Marlen
      Hauptforschungsgebiete: Molschleben, Bufleben, Eschenbergen, Ermstedt und Umkreis

Kommentar

• ursulaba
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi Denise,

it's always a good idea to mention the state/county/township of settlement so that one can check the census records following the year of immigration. Not having found Julius in 1870 or 1880, I checked the 1900 census and found out why he didn't appear in the earlier censuses.

Not to worry, I found the family anyway on the 1900 census in Kings Co., Brookly Ward 27, NY.

I don't know who gave you the info that Julius HEBENSTREIT immigrated in 1865 at the age of 3 years. According to the 1900 census, the family consisted of the following members. Please confirm that these are your ancestors.

1900 Federal Census - Brooklyn Ward 27, Kings Co., NY
        House No. 91 Central Ave, NY:

HEBENSTRUT corr HEBENSTREIT, Julius, 37, Carpenter b. Oct 1862, immigrated 1885, married 1888.
        wife Caroline, 39, b. Mar 1861, immigrated 1883;
        dau. Rosy, 9 b NY
        son Julius M, 8, b NY
        son William, 5 b. NY
        dau. Mamie, 3, b. NY
        dau. Emily, 1, b. NY

So far I have not been able to locate Julius on any NY or Baltimore passenger list. Do you have any idea from what area [state] in Germany he may have come?

I'll check the other census years to see if he indicated something other than Germany. Have you checked his obituary?

Ursula

Kommentar

• Skewesme
          Neuer Benutzer

Hebenstreit

Urusla,

Thank you for taking time to read my post. Yes those Hebenstreits are mine. the 1865 was a error. It was supposed to be 1885. Other than their marriage certificate I have all of their information here in the United States. I just don't know where in Germany he immigrated from. I have checked every ships list, every immigration and emigration list I've been able to find. I've looked at so many faimly trees I've lost count. No one seems to be doing research on my Hebenstreits.

Thank you again for your help. My search will go on. He came from somewhere and I am determined to find it.

Regards, Denise

Kommentar

• Skewesme
            Neuer Benutzer

Marlen,

Thank you so much for the information on the private post, unfortunately I had no luck with Hebenstreit. There is nothing on any of the documents I have for him that say where in Germany he is from. Everything just says Germany. I wish I had more information for you, But Germany is all I have.

Thank you again
            Denise

Kommentar

• heuermann
              Erfahrener Benutzer

I know about Manfred Fahrig and R.Burr. Both are searching for Hebestreit and Hebenstreit. Maybe you can contact them
              info@taxi-fahrig.de and
              kepplerburr@gmail.com

greetings
              heuermann
              Wer seine Wurzeln verleugnet, sich von ihnen abschneidet oder von ihnen abgeschnitten wird, verliert eine enorme Kraftquelle

Kommentar

• ursulaba
                Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Denise,

Do you know whether Julius had a brother named Hermann Hebenstreit?

I came across a passport application in which a Hermann Hebenstreit claims that he was born in Weimer [sic? Weimar] and that the name of his deceased father was Julius Hebenstreit; it also has a photo of Herman on the page following the passport application in 1922.

I've checked Ancestry for every "Julius" who immigrated into the US in 1885 and among the many there is only one who might be him. The problem is that he is listed under "Julius Heberlein" but when I checked the actual PL it looks more like "Haberstein".

You'll find him on page 12 of 20, NY PL, ship ELBE arriving 4 May 1885.

Ursula

Kommentar

• Skewesme
                  Neuer Benutzer

Kerstin

Thank you for answering my posy. Yes, some of those Hebenstreit's are mine, bue none of the information tells me where in Germany they came from. Thank you again.

Regards

Denise

Kommentar

• Skewesme
                    Neuer Benutzer

Urusla,

Once again, Thank you for your help. I don't know if Julius had a brother Hermann, but I will certainly check it out. I might be able to tell from the picture of Hermann if he looks like the Hebenstreit clan here. I will also check out the ships list. I have the deluxe Ancestry subscription and did a search of the name Julius, I guess I just didn't put the information together. I'll let you know what I find. Again, Thank you so much for your time and energy.

Regards,
                    Denise

Kommentar

• Kasstor
                      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi,
                      do you already know the record that the index I attached refers to ( index to petitions filed in New York )? I don´t know whether there is additional information as interesting fields have been marked with a --- in this index, but maybe the original entry does show some more information ( just a hint ).
                      I don´t think that this Hermann H. mentioned above is a Hebenstreit as on the document there is HEBESTREIT written in capital letters directly under the name written by the applicant which also reads Hebestreit without n. Maybe Ursula can cross-check this again.
                      There are some Hebestreit immigrants listed as craftsmen ( like your Julius ) during the 1880s, their places of origin are Hoepfingen / Baden, Dresden / Saxony and Hanover / Prussia ( a Lul or Jul Hebenstreit arriving in 1887 is from Aschaffenburg ). Unfortunately place of birth or last residence is not often written in the ship lists, unless the name is listed on the Hamburg emigrant lists.

Regards ,

Thomas
                      Angehängte Dateien
                      Zuletzt geändert von Kasstor; 01.05.2010, 23:38.
                      FN Pein (Quickborn vor 1830), FN Hinsch (Poppenbüttel, Schenefeld), FN Holle (Hamburg, Lüchow?), FN Ludwig/Niesel (Frankenstein/Habelschwerdt) FN Tönnies (Meelva bei Karuse-Estland, später Hamburg), FN Lindloff (Altona, Lüneburg, Suderburg)

Ceterum censeo progeniem hominum esse deminuendam

Kommentar

• Skewesme
                        Neuer Benutzer

Thomas,

Thank you for your information. I have his citizenship papers and it does not say where he was born. I've even checked Donatus Weber. It seems they immigrated the same year. I found a ship list that has both names on it, but unfortunately the part I need is unreadable. I've also checked the places you gave me, but found nothing to tie my Julius to anyone. And so my search goes on. Once again thak you for you time and effort.

Regards,
                        Denise

Kommentar

• Skewesme
                          Neuer Benutzer

Urusla,

One again let me thank you for your time and effort. I really appreciate your help. I checked the ships list. I was unable to read the name. I also checked the other information you gave me. I was unable to link Julius with Hermann as of yet, but I will keep searching. Thanks again.

Regards

Denise

Kommentar

• HannesMariusRuf
                            Neuer Benutzer

Denise,

my name is Johannes Ruf and I am writing u on behalf of my mother who found this thread a few months ago. Apparently this Karoline Johann (married name: Hebenstreit) and her sister Klementine (widowed Warburg) stem from Blieskastel and are our ancestors as well. So it's fairly likely I guess that Julius Hebenstreit was from the same area but maybe u should talk directly to my mother. She also drew a family tree that I could email to u in case u are still interested. Unfortunately I can't send u an email or PM on this homepage. Please get in touch with us (best via email: johannes.ruf@student.kit.edu)

Regards,
                            Hannes

Kommentar

Lädt...
                            X