• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Sophi3
    Benutzer

NEED HELP researching my 2nd great grandmother, HENRIETTA FENSKE

Hello everyone, I'm new here and posting in hopes of getting some help researching my 2nd great grandmother Henrietta Fenske. I have little to no information she even existed and have exhausted all websites such as Ancestry, family search along with many other websites, but it's difficult to navigate some when I have so little to go on and am missing some information. I feel I'm missing something or some knowledge I haven't learned yet of European history. I'm familiar with the border changes of the past along with other history but am still learning and hope someone can help me get past this brick wall! I continuously make efforts to educate myself to better help my research but it seems I'm a little lost and am missing something here. Below are the details I know. Any and all information, tips, resources and advice to help me over this wall are greatly appreciated! _______________________________________________
    Henrietta Agathe/Agata Fenske (B. 1870 D. 1906)
    She likely passes away in Poland and was born in Germany but I've yet to confirm that along with how she passed so young. I've found no record of her marriage to Wilhelm or birth of any of her children in Europe that I can confidently say are accurate nor do I know specifically where she was born or where she passed. All I have is Mathildes confirmation in Germany I think, that is the only accurate record I have in Germany with her name. Henrietta is seen in Canadian marriage records of a couple of her kids with one she's listed as Agata. _______________________________________________
    Husband:
    Wilhelm Lentz (B. 1869 D. 1946 in Alberta Canada. Also his name has been posted on Ancestry and such as Wilhelm Friedrich Gustav Lentz but I have some reservations about the name and the order. His death certificate says he was born in Poland but I assume given his DOB this was not Poland at the time of his birth.
    Mathilda/Mathilde Ludwig Louis Heinrich Emilie Otto (said to have passed at 2 years old) Possibly stillborn Mathilde, Ludwig, Heinrich and Emilie all came to Canada but no records connecting Mathilde with her father Wilhelm.
  • benangel
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello,

do you know this familytree:
    https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/GFLL-SLL

Here you can find the parents of Wilhelm Friedrich Gustav Lentz married to Henriette Agata Fenske >> Carl Wilhelm Lentz and Marie Mierke.

On ancestry you can find the marriage of Carl Wilhelm Lentz and Marie Mierke 1840 in Neuruppin, Germany
    https://www.ancestry.de/discoveryui-content/view/3732349:2116

I hope this will help to go on with your research.
    Gruß
    Bernd

Kommentar

• Gastonian

Hi Bernd:

With all due respect, that family tree at familysearch is speculative - as the original poster already noted, there is no proof that the Wilhelm Friedrich Gustav Lentz from Neuruppin is the same as the William Lentz who died 1946 in Alberta, Canada.

The known facts are these:

1) A William Lentz died 10 Sep 1946 in Wetawiskin, Alberta, Canada.

2) According to his gravestone in the Emmaus Lutheran church cemetery near Wetawiskin, he had been born in 1869, and his wife Emilie was born 1886 and died 1964

3) According to the birth record of their son Edward Samuel (born 25 June 1913 in Arnprior, Ottawa, Canada), William Lentz and Emilie Grünig had married in "Brandenburg, Germany" on 2 April 1907

4) According to her marriage record dated 2 June 1914 in Arnprior, Emilie, daughter of William Lentz and Emilie Grüning [!], age 19 (thus born about 1894/95), had been born in "Tomeshef, Russia"

5) According to his marriage record dated 25 April 1917 in Arnprior, Ludwig, son of William Lentz and Henriette Fenske, age 26 (thus born about 1890/1891), had been born in "Russia"

6) According to her marriage record (to Karl Sanchuk) dated 9 October 1927 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the widow Matelda Lens, daughter of William Lens and Agata Fensky, age 34 (and thus born about 1892/1893), had been born in "Germany". Note that, according to her death record dated 25 January 1947 in Toronto, Matilda, wife of Charles Semchuk, age 55 (and thus born about 1891/1892), had been born in "Russia"

All that can be concluded from this is that William (Wilhelm) Lentz was married in the 1890s to a Henrietta Fenske / Agatha Fensky in the Russian Empire, and specificially around 1895 in "Tomeshef"; and that this Henrietta/Agatha died at some point before April 1907.

Sophi3, you say that you have a German confirmation record for their daughter Matilda. Can you give us details about this confirmation record?

Bernd, according to one Ancestry family tree, Henrietta Lentz nee Fenske had died 10 September 1906 in Zion, Kreis Züllichau-Schwebus, Brandenburg. Can this be verified?

Regards

--Carl-Henry
      Meine Ahnentafel: https://gw.geneanet.org/schwind1_w?iz=2&n=schwind1&oc=0&p=privat

Kommentar

• Scherfer

Hello Sophie,

all the names you mention ring a bell for me, though I cannot give you the right connection immediately. I have Fenske ancestors myself. They were of German descent, living in the Lodz region in Poland (more precisely from Antoniew-Stoki, parish Nowosolna/Neusulzfeld). In the same region, there are families by the name of Lentz, Grüning - further names mentioned above.

Carl Henry gives another interesting clue in his point 4).: The place of birth "Tomeshef, Russia" could possibly be identical to Tomaszow Mazowiecki, also close to Lodz.

I do not have time right now to look into this in detail, but think that a search of online ressources like on genealodzy.pl could possibly reveal something more.
        Zuletzt geändert von Scherfer; 08.06.2023, 07:39.

Kommentar

• Sophi3
          Benutzer

Yes that’s my tree but I’ve sort of abandoned it for the most part on family search

Zitat von benangel Beitrag anzeigen
          Hello,

do you know this familytree:
          https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/GFLL-SLL

Here you can find the parents of Wilhelm Friedrich Gustav Lentz married to Henriette Agata Fenske >> Carl Wilhelm Lentz and Marie Mierke.

On ancestry you can find the marriage of Carl Wilhelm Lentz and Marie Mierke 1840 in Neuruppin, Germany
          https://www.ancestry.de/discoveryui-content/view/3732349:2116

I hope this will help to go on with your research.

Kommentar

• Sophi3
            Benutzer

@ Scherfer
            Thank you for the reply! There's no Carl Henry unless you meant the names separately I apologize! Any tidbit of info appreciated, I have some knowledge of European history but still lots to learn and getting personal info is great as it can lead to better results that we can’t get from websites and such. I’ve researched alot but I think I need to slow down and fixate on one thing at a time as there’s no much to take in! Lodz seems to be the place I hear of time and time again I just can’t narrow anything down. Even her husbands parents I’m skeptical without concrete evidence so I’m hoping to also get tips and advice in my research to help better. I knew Fenske and Lentz are German surnames as well. I will definitely look into all you’ve mentioned and please feel free to share any other info you may feel helpful!

[QUOTE=Scherfer;1545163]Hello Sophie, all the names you mention ring a bell for me, though I cannot give you the right connection immediately. I have Fenske ancestors myself. They were of German descent, living in the Lodz region in Poland (more precisely from Antoniew-Stoki, parish Nowosolna/Neusulzfeld). In the same region, there are families by the name of Lentz, Grüning - further names mentioned above. Carl Henry gives another interesting clue in his point 4).: The place of birth "Tomeshef, Russia" could possibly be identical to Tomaszow Mazowiecki, also close to Lodz. I do not have time right now to look into this in detail, but think that a search of online ressources like on genealodzy.pl could possibly reveal something more.[ /QUOTE]

Kommentar

• Sophi3
              Benutzer

This maybe be helpful in helping me it’s my great grandmother’s confirmation, Henrietta’s daughter
              Zitat von Scherfer Beitrag anzeigen
              Hello Sophie,

all the names you mention ring a bell for me, though I cannot give you the right connection immediately. I have Fenske ancestors myself. They were of German descent, living in the Lodz region in Poland (more precisely from Antoniew-Stoki, parish Nowosolna/Neusulzfeld). In the same region, there are families by the name of Lentz, Grüning - further names mentioned above.

Carl Henry gives another interesting clue in his point 4).: The place of birth "Tomeshef, Russia" could possibly be identical to Tomaszow Mazowiecki, also close to Lodz.

I do not have time right now to look into this in detail, but think that a search of online ressources like on genealodzy.pl could possibly reveal something more.

Doppelthema!
              Das Dokument wurde hier diskutiert https://forum.ahnenforschung.net/sho...d.php?t=234286
              Angehängte Dateien
              Zuletzt geändert von Xtine; 10.06.2023, 15:49. Grund: Anmerkung

Kommentar

• Gastonian

Hi Sophie:

The Carl-Henry that Scherfer was referring to was me ("Gastonian") in contribution # 3 above, which I addressed directly to Bernd but really was meant for everyone

That is great that you uploaded Mathilde's confirmation record. It confirms her parents (Wilhelm Lenz and Agathe Fenske), but more importantly states that, at the time of her confirmation in 1908, she was part of the Lutheran church of Luzk. The stamp at the very lower left corner has Cyrillic writing in it; this confirms that she was in the Russian Empire (and not the parts of present-day Poland that were then part of Germany).

The German spelling "Luzk" corresponds to the English "Lutsk" and thus points to a city that is in present-day Ukraine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutsk), though historically (before 1795 and again between the two world wars) in Poland.

Regards

--Carl-Henry
                Meine Ahnentafel: https://gw.geneanet.org/schwind1_w?iz=2&n=schwind1&oc=0&p=privat

Kommentar

• Dudas
                  Erfahrener Benutzer

Tomaschow

Kommentar

• Gastonian

Hello everyone:

What Dudas is suggesting is that the "Tomeshef, Russia" where Emilie Lentz was born is this Tomaschow/Tomashov in present-day Ukraine, about 40 miles ENE of Luzk/Lutsk, which was a known settlement of German Protestants.

Sophie: there are quite a few surviving churchbooks in Polish archives for these parts of interwar Poland that became part of Ukraine in 1945. In the sub-forum "Mittelpolen und Wolhynien Genealogie" (https://forum.ahnenforschung.net/forumdisplay.php?f=48) there are several experts in using these sources. I would suggest you post a query there (once again showing the confirmation record of Mathilde Lenz) asking whether they can find the 1908 confirmation in Luzk/Lutsk and either her birth 1893 or the birth of her sister Emilie 1894/95 in Tomaschow.

Regards

--Carl-Henry
                    Zuletzt geändert von Gastonian; 09.06.2023, 02:23.

Kommentar

• Sophi3
                      Benutzer

Bless your heart for the clarifying info! I was able to transcribe some of that confirmation, I’ll have to go back to my notes. Unfortunately the actual church was unclear but I was able to see Lutzk. There are some indications some of the children were born in what was Russia at the time I just wish I could more clearly read the church name and such. I will definitely post a query on the other yas you’ve suggested, thank you so much for the info! I will also follow up with the other info you’ve mentioned. Thanks again!

Zitat von Gastonian Beitrag anzeigen
                      Hello everyone:

What Dudas is suggesting is that the "Tomeshef, Russia" where Emilie Lentz was born is this Tomaschow/Tomashov in present-day Ukraine, about 40 miles ENE of Luzk/Lutsk, which was a known settlement of German Protestants.

Sophie: there are quite a few surviving churchbooks in Polish archives for these parts of interwar Poland that became part of Ukraine in 1945. In the sub-forum "Mittelpolen und Wolhynien Genealogie" (https://forum.ahnenforschung.net/forumdisplay.php?f=48) there are several experts in using these sources. I would suggest you post a query there (once again showing the confirmation record of Mathilde Lenz) asking whether they can find the 1908 confirmation in Luzk/Lutsk and either her birth 1893 or the birth of her sister Emilie 1894/95 in Tomaschow.

Regards

--Carl-Henry

Kommentar

• Sophi3
                        Benutzer

Thank you ever so much for all that info! I shouldn’t mention much of what you will find I have the info and/or even have posted that very info

I have a tree on family search I have not really worked on as I’m on ancestry more. The marriage record you mention some I have and some I’ve seen and know although there’s much spelling errors on some. With a lack of certain knowledge and whatever I’m missing I’ve definitely hit a wall so this is so helpful and I’m very grateful!

I also haven’t made much connections to my great grandmother Mathilde and her parent let alone confirm Henrietta’s info and piecing that together. I have much on Mathildes siblings especially in Canada but Mathilde is a question mark on some ways aside from her marriage and death records etc. Mathilde 1st husband was Olesky. There has one or two children one names Harry/Henry

The confirmation is posted now in this thread if you have not already seen it

Hi Bernd:

With all due respect, that family tree at familysearch is speculative - as the original poster already noted, there is no proof that the Wilhelm Friedrich Gustav Lentz from Neuruppin is the same as the William Lentz who died 1946 in Alberta, Canada.

2) According to his gravestone in the Emmaus Lutheran church cemetery near Wetawiskin, he had been born in 1869, and his wife Emilie was born 1886 and died 1964

3) According to the birth record of their son Edward Samuel (born 25 June 1913 in Arnprior, Ottawa, Canada), William Lentz and Emilie Grünig had married in "Brandenburg, Germany" on 2 April 1907

4) According to her marriage record dated 2 June 1914 in Arnprior, Emilie, daughter of William Lentz and Emilie Grüning [!], age 19 (thus born about 1894/95), had been born in "Tomeshef, Russia"

5) According to his marriage record dated 25 April 1917 in Arnprior, Ludwig, son of William Lentz and Henriette Fenske, age 26 (thus born about 1890/1891), had been born in "Russia"

6) According to her marriage record (to Karl Sanchuk) dated 9 October 1927 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the widow Matelda Lens, daughter of William Lens and Agata Fensky, age 34 (and thus born about 1892/1893), had been born in "Germany". Note that, according to her death record dated 25 January 1947 in Toronto, Matilda, wife of Charles Semchuk, age 55 (and thus born about 1891/1892), had been born in "Russia"

All that can be concluded from this is that William (Wilhelm) Lentz was married in the 1890s to a Henrietta Fenske / Agatha Fensky in the Russian Empire, and specificially around 1895 in "Tomeshef"; and that this Henrietta/Agatha died at some point before April 1907.

Sophi3, you say that you have a German confirmation record for their daughter Matilda. Can you give us details about this confirmation record?

Bernd, according to one Ancestry family tree, Henrietta Lentz nee Fenske had died 10 September 1906 in Zion, Kreis Züllichau-Schwebus, Brandenburg. Can this be verified?

Regards

--Carl-Henry

Kommentar

• Sophi3
                          Benutzer

And just to add as you mentioned the uncertainty that the they are the same Wilhelm. That’s the frustration so I hope as I continue with my research and and the help from others so kind that I can piece it together better . Again thank you so much! Also. It’s said on a typed lentz family tree that Wilhelm and Henrietta married in 1889 but I do not have any proof of this
                          Hi Bernd:

Regards

--Carl-Henry
                          Zuletzt geändert von Sophi3; 09.06.2023, 05:03.

Kommentar

• Sophi3
                            Benutzer

I’m not sure when you posted this or if I have replied already, I apologize it’s a little late and I’m trying to keep up

I had the document briefly translated in the past but I must say this is much more helpful gather further information with such kindness. I just wish I could read the name of the church and such. I’m assuming most would have been part of the Russian empire and a couple or her siblings also are considered to be born in Russia and I assumed the same for her to a degree, considering the border changes and whatnot. Having more detail about Lutzk is also appreciated. Although Mathilde married Karl/Kerel in Canada I was always told my Grandma was Ukrainian which was obvious give the surname Lentz but that’s a whole other story! I’ve also been learning alot about Russian Germans and polish Germans, can’t be complex but quite interesting!

Thanks again!

Hi Sophie:

The Carl-Henry that Scherfer was referring to was me ("Gastonian") in contribution # 3 above, which I addressed directly to Bernd but really was meant for everyone

That is great that you uploaded Mathilde's confirmation record. It confirms her parents (Wilhelm Lenz and Agathe Fenske), but more importantly states that, at the time of her confirmation in 1908, she was part of the Lutheran church of Luzk. The stamp at the very lower left corner has Cyrillic writing in it; this confirms that she was in the Russian Empire (and not the parts of present-day Poland that were then part of Germany).

The German spelling "Luzk" corresponds to the English "Lutsk" and thus points to a city that is in present-day Ukraine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutsk), though historically (before 1795 and again between the two world wars) in Poland.

Regards

--Carl-Henry

Kommentar

• thoddy
                              Erfahrener Benutzer

moin,

laut G**gle ist es die Lutherkirche in Luzk. Grundsteinlegung war 1905 und 1907 war sie fertig. Das Baukommitee wurde von Pastor Schlupp geleitet. Ich denke, das ist auch die Unterschrift auf der Konfirmationsurkunde.
                              Waldemar Anton Schlupp war Pastor von 1905-1911, das würde passen.

According to G**gle it is the Luther Church in Luzk. The foundation stone was laid in 1905 and it was finished in 1907. The building committee was headed by Pastor Schlupp. I think this is also the signature on the confirmation certificate.
                              Waldemar Anton Schlupp was pastor from 1905-1911, that would fit.

Gruß
                              Thorsten
                              Zuletzt geändert von thoddy; 09.06.2023, 12:53. Grund: Übersetzung fehlte

suche alles über die Familien:
                              KOBARG, JENSEN, STARKE

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X