• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Stanley Who
    Erfahrener Benutzer

[gelöst] Help with Daughters Name

Jahr, aus dem der Begriff stammt: 1712
    Region, aus der der Begriff stammt: Evng.KB Finkenstein Krs Rosenberg West Preussen

Hello everybody here,

The daughters name is written as a joined "NB" what does this mean?
    eg., They had not named the child at the time of baptism or the scribe was not notified of the name.

Regards
    Jan
    Angehängte Dateien
  • AKocur
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hallo Jan,

the joined NB means nota bene.

I'm not sure what exactly it's supposed to mean in this context though. It could be what you guessed, of course.
    I remember reading one (catholic) KB where one scribe in the 18th century used it to indicate those children, that died early, often within days of their birth (and those very early deceased children, he didn't enter into the burial church book). As I haven't seen this technique in other KBs of the region and time, it was obviously a personal method of making a note of those cases to himself.
    I've also seen it used as a placeholder, I think. Then it's repeated somewhere on the page or surrounding pages and whatsever missing would then be stated there, in this case, the name.

Greetings,
    Antje

Kommentar

• Stanley Who
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Antje,

I have now seen other entries by the same scribe so I am thinking they have put their own meaning to it, one entry reads "Testes, NB" with no testes listed so may be using it more like "nicht bekannt", we can only speculate!

Jan

Kommentar

Lädt...
      X