• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • herby
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Peter Peters aus Schleiden nach Amerika

Hallo Freunde,
    im Beritt meiner Küfler Verwandschaft bin ich ja nach langer Suche an das Buch "The Heart Of Herresbach" von Father Juniper Kuefler gelangt, was ich dann im History Museum in St. Cloud, Stearns, Minnesota
    gefunden habe.
    Das Buch ist ein unerschöpflicher Fundus an ungeklärten Fragen , insbesondere im Bereich der Auswanderung.
    Da hat 1928 eine Catherine Peters den Anton Henry Kuefler in Spring Hills; Minnesota geheiratet.
    Der Vater von Catherine Peters war lt. Buch ein Peter Peters aus Schleid - ich vermute wegen der Einwandererdichte in Minnesota, die aus der Eifel kamen, ist hier Schleiden gemeint.
    Peter Peters ist am 29. Oktober 1859 geboren. Er hat am 19. Februar 1895 in Minnesota geheiratet.
    Also suche ich die Passagierliste für Peter Peters vor 1895 mit Eurer immerwährenden Hilfe......
    Danke Euch....
    Herbert
  • cecilia
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hallo Herbert,

das müsste er sein, es wird zwar Illinois als Reiseziel angegeben, aber das ist die falsche Spalte Reiseziel ist Minnesota.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 Passagierlisten New York, 1820-1957 Info Peter Peters
    Name: Peter Peters
    Aufnahme*datum: 25. Feb 1884
    Geburtsdatum: ca. 1860
    Ethnische Herkunft/ Nationalität: German (Deutsch)
    Herkunftsort: Germany (Deutschland)
    Abreise*hafen: Antwerp, Belgium
    Reiseziel: Illinois
    Ankunftshafen: New York, New York
    Schiff: Rhynland

Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s Index der Passagier- und Einwanderungslisten, 16.–20. Jh. Info Peter Peters
    Name: Peter Peters
    Jahr: 1884
    Geschätztes Geburtsjahr: ca. 1860
    Veröffentlichungscode der Quelle: 8427.13
    Haupteinwanderer: Peters, Peter
    Anmerkung: Port and date of arrival. Extracted from National Archives Microfilm Series M237. Most passengers embarked from Bremen, the rest from Hamburg, Antwerp, Bremerhaven, London, Havre, Liverpool, Queenstown, or Antwerp. Sex, occupation, and reel and item numbe
    Bibliografische Quelle: "SHIP PASSENGERS MINNESOTA BOUND." By Michael Cassady. In Minnesota Genealogist. "1884." Vol. 18:2 (June 1987), pp. 83-87; vol. 18:3 (Sept. 1987), pp. 145-148.
    Seite: 84

Email ist unterwegs

PS: Lt Grabstein soll er 1860 geboren sein??

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=28224820&

und noch ein Nachtrag:

es gibt Fotos von Peter Peters, seiner Ehefrau Barbara, der Heiratsurkunde und der Beerdigungskarte von Peter. Danach ist er am 29.10.1860 in Trier geboren.
    Zuletzt geändert von cecilia; 28.05.2013, 22:44.
    Herzl. Gruß Cecilia

Kommentar

• cecilia
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Und noch etwas zur Familie Peters zum Lesen:

From "A Pageant: The Life of Peter Peters and Barbara Biersdorf Peters and Family" by Marcelline Weidner Schleper, 20 August 1983, and Transcripts of Margaret Peters Weidner sharing memories, Christmas 1982, and Peters' Family Reunion, July 1976:

Peter Peters was born to Peter Peters and Anna Marie Thiel in the city of Schleid, Germany, in 1859. Peter had one brother and 4 sisters. He was the only one from his family to come to the United States. In 1883 the ruler of Germany was Otto Bismark who was known as the "Iron Chancellor." He believed that the great problems of his time must be settled by blood and iron instead of by speeches and resolutions. All the young men in Germany had to serve a time in the army.
      Peter was peace-loving and dreaded the time when he would have to serve. He had heard much talk about an exciting new country where almost anyone could own his own land and where one did not have to be in the army. Peter made a decision that affected all of us here today. He left his native land and sailed to America. Peter never saw beautiful Germany nor any of his family again.
      After brief stays in France and England, Peter was on his way to Minnesota. Perhaps he was dozing during the long train ride, or perhaps it was because he understood no English, but it happened that he ended up in Kansas instead of Minnesota. There he found employment. A young boy, the 12-year-old son of his boss, taught Peter the English language and taught him well. After 3 years here, Peter left and headed to Minnesota once more. He settled in Faribault (Minnesota) where his cousins from Germany, the Keilens, lived.
      Faribault was where Peter met and fell in love with the brown eyed, black haired Barbara Biersdorf who was also of German ancestry. At the time in the history of America, Germany was sending over more emigrants than any other country.
      Peter and Barbara were farmers near Faribault. Some of their buildings are still there. Marie, Alphonse, Magdalene, and Margaret were born there. After about 7 years, Peter began to get restless again. "They say, North Dakota is the land of opportunity now--even GOLD can be found there. We could do better, Barbara, if we moved to North Dakota," ...and they did move--to Cogswell, North Dakota.
      Some of the happy memories of Cogswell, North Dakota, were the family raspberry picking outings on the other side of the bridge. Maybe this was the same stream where the big Colby boys used to pick up Margaret and Magdalene and carry them over the water.
      There more children were born in Cogswell, North Dakota--they were Leo, Catherine, and Barbara. One year Barbara Biersdorf Peters took their 5 youngest children on a train trip to St. Paul to visit their aunts and uncles, Katie, Mary, John, Matt, and Tom. Peter Peters and the 3 oldest children stayed home to do the farm work. The city relatives showed them such a good time. It was Christmas time, and they had colored candy for them and a big bowl of fruit--foods they seldom had. The conductor on the train gave special attention to the two little black-eyed girls who helped their mother, Barbara, take care of the 3 little children--the identical twins, who may have been the only set he had ever seen.
      According to Margaret Peters Weidner (1982), "Oh, we went from Dakota to St. Paul. See, Aunt Mary and Aunt Katie lived there. And, so my mother took five of us...one Christmas, it was, and we went to St. Paul. I suppose she never went back after she got to Dakota--for years, you know. So she finally went. We all went on the train. Just my Mom. My dad didn't go. Marie didn't go either, and Al and John didn't go. I suppose Marie had to cook the meals...cause my dad was no cook. But I think the rest of us all went. I don't know if we had Barbara yet, or not, but anyway, we went to St. Paul. And, you know, they had a nice big bowl of Christmas candy on the table, and boy, we really enjoyed that candy! Never had so much candy in my our lives! They were so good to us. You know, five kids going there. It must have been quite a houseful then!...And when we went home of the train then the conductor, because Magdeline and I were twins, you know....We thought he was such a good man. He gave us treats, you know. I suppose it was because we were twins...."
      Christmas brings back other memories too--it always happened at this time of the year that the door to the boys bedroom was kept locked--and the little girls weren't allowed in. This made the little girls want even more than ever to get into that room to see what was going on. What WAS going on was--the boys were making toys out of wood, that would be given to the children for Christmas. According to Margaret Peters Weidner (1982), "Al and John always went into their room and locked the door and then they made Christmas things. We were always so mad at them because they wouldn't let us in to see what they were doing! We could hear them saw and hammer. I don't know. They made something...I don't know if it was horses. You know they always carved out horses and things like that. And they gave them away for Christmas. You know, they were wise already. They knew what they were doing, but we didn't. That made us so disguested. Funny we never went in their room to look. I'm sure it wasn't locked in the day time, but I don't know what they did to hide them."
      Magdeline and Margaret also remember the time their parents were gone, and they were rummaging around in the closet and found 2 beautiful new dolls on the hight closet shelf. Margaret told Magdeline "If we get these dolls for Christmas, then I know who 'Santa Claus' is." They got the dolls for Christmas--and knew even more, the loving generosity of "Ma and Pa."
      The Cogswell County Fair was a special treat one year. Barbara was pregnant with her last baby (who was to be named Barbara) and Peter decided he would take the other 7 children to the Fair in Cogswell--probably to give his wife a rest. According to Margaret Peters Weidner (1982), "Our dad took us down. I dont know how it happened. He wasn't that type of a man that cared so much about that type of stuff but he...my mother didn't go but I think my mother was expecting Barbara, see, that's why she didn't go." He gave each of the children 50 cents to spend. Then HE bought them oranges, and bananas and all kinds of good food at the fair, and gave them rides on the merry-go-round. They all went home that night, full and happy and tired--and with 50 cents still in their pockets.
      "Every 4th of July we made ice cream," said Margaret Peters Weidner (1982). "It was so good! That was our day to make ice cream. It was so good! I don't know how we got the ice. I guess....we had a lot of ice around the place in the Spring and we always covered it up with straw. And then they had ice almost all year around. That way they had it on the 4th of July, cuz that's where we got the ice from, I'm sure. Vanilla. It was good. At least, I thought it was. Of course, kids will think ice cream is good anyway!" And Peter Peters used to say, "Hurray, Hurray, it's the 4th of Yoo-lay!
      In 1910 the wheat crop failed, producing only 16 bushels to the acre because of severe drought. A few years before this, the crops had hailed out. So the Peters had enough of Dakota, and when Baby Barbara was about 1, the famiy of 10, with all their possessions, boarded a freight train and moved to a farm near Lake Henry, Minnesota. Magdeline and Margaret remember the trip and especially the stopover for a mean at the hotel in Belgrade where they tasted a new food. It was a cold breakfast cereal called "Egosee" and was probably the forerunner of Cornflakes, Wheaties and other cereals of today. The Peters children loved the fact that they could add a lot of sugar to it, and thought it was delicious.
      John remembered going to the one room school near Spring Hill. The Peters kids spoke English and the other children spoke German. The priest called the Peters "his little Englishmen." Some boys teased John and Alphonse about this and it led to a fist fight which brought the teacher to the scene. According to John Peters (1976), "I remember in North Dakota when we got into a scrap, we'd fight it out. So I knew how to handle myself. In about two weeks I got to understand some of this. I thought 'These kids are just trying to BE somebody,' and I told him that, and I got up and pretty soon the teacher came. 'Say teacher, in North Dakota we fight our own battles,' I said, 'Teacher, leave us alone,' and she went back in the school house and didn't say a word. I got along pretty good with kids after that too. Then, that wasn't all. When we went to catechism we had the same thing! There was a gang of 15-20 kids and Alphonse and I alone--and the whole gang backed up!"
      Little Barbara was growing up fast and Leo loved to tease her. He called her "Baby B" and "Bean-Pole." Barbara's brothers and sisters remembered how she always wore her favorite sweater to school, the one with the huge pockets--and she DID make use of those pockets!
      Memories include saving a neighbor girl from drowning when she fell through thin ice while skating. According to Margaret Peters Weidner (1982), We skated "...on ponds around the house. We went one time...about a mile or mile and a half from the farm. It was pretty deep, that water was. And we had neighbors along. There were a lot of kids on the lake that time and the first thing we knew the ice got rubbery...you know how it gets. And of course that was...we had lots of fun. The first thing we knew. this neighbor girl, she went under. She started sinking, and we had to get her out, and boy, that was something. That scared me. I thought, I'll never go on this again! Finally we got her out, I don't know how....I don't know...that's why I'm always afraid because kids will try anything, I know that. I don't know how we did it. She kept on sinking, see, and we had to get off of that. I'm surprise we were smart enought to get her off, but we were scared. She was all wet and we took her home. We had to walk home. We walked down there, too. It wasn't that we had a ride. That was the bunk! I often think of that. I think it was early in the Spring or else early in the Fall. The ice wasn't too hard yet then. I often think people don't think of that--I never did either, well, when you're a kid you don't think of anything anyhow that could be dangerous. You think you can do it. The boys were on it too, you know, and we always hung unto their coats and let them pull us along. They skated and we just hung on. That way we could ride all over the lake. That wasn't in Dakota. We were older, see. It was a Sunday afternoon. I remember that. I don't know if we ever told our folks or not. I supposed the Milner's knew it. It was one of the Milner girls, you know....She was scared too. We were just too scared to cry, I think."
      Another memory was the time Marie wanted so badly to learn to drive her daddy's car and her brothers wouldn't teach her. Her dad preferred horses and knew little about the car. But Marie was determined. She studied the manual, got the car started, got it shifted--and zoomed it out of the barn while her sisters looked admiringly on.
      Everyone in the Peters family remembers when the team of horses were hitched to the wagon to take the family to church. Magdeline and Leo were sitting in the wagon, waiting for the rest of the family to come. The horses got frightened and began to wildly run away. Magdeline fell off the wagon leaving little Leo, about 7 at the time, alone on the wagon. He managed to hand on until the horses were subdued. Peter always liked horses with spunk--but this was a little too much. He hooked the same horses back up to the wagon saying that if they can run away like that, they can take us to church too! The chruch was 8 to 9 miles away but they still made it in time.
      Leo had more excitement with 4-year-old Catherine. The two loved to ride on the wheel of their blown down windmill. One day Catherine got her right thumb caught in the cogs and smashed it. They ran to the house very frightened. Their mother bandaged the finger and it healed, but it left Catherine's injured thumb wider and shorter than her left thumb. Catherine also remembers her dad giving her a ride on the grain drill and what a thrill it was, since he seldom let the children on the farm machinery.
      John also remembered when he was caught in a whirlwind and almost didn't make it home. His mother called to him and told him to come in the house right away. According to John Peters (1976), "I don't know if that was a whirlwind or a straight wind. I ain't so sure about that. But I know that I was maybe 20 rods from the house and the wind hit just like a wall. I got ahold of the grass." Margaret (1976) noted, "You got a hold of the windmill and that pulled you over the well." "I know I saw Ma come to the door and she was a'hollering. But I couldn't get there!" said John.
      Margaret Peters Weidner (1982) remembered that Peter Peters continued to keep contact with his parents and family in Germany. "My dad used to write to them. But, you know, we were kids. We never saw them. My dad talked about them once in awhile. I don't know if we even listened very good. I should think I would remember if I had! But he used to write to them. Katherine (Peters) claims that after she got older she wrote to them quite often. Dad sat there and told her what to say. But he always did say how nice it was in Germany--how beautiful it was in Germany. My dad said that many times. I supposed all the flowers they had. He talked abut that, you know."
      The eight children grew to adulthood on the Lake Henry farm. They sang in the church choir in Spring Hill, Minnesota and the girls were married in the same beautiful church.
      Time for retirement came for Peter and Barbara, and they sold the farm and moved to Belgrade, Minnesota. They enjoyed their life in town until November, 1934, when Peter died at the age of 74. Leo had always wanted to take him to Germany to see his family once again (he always talked about how beautiful it was there--the flowers and hills), but this was not to be. At the time of his death, one brother in Germany survived. Catherine had been the letter writer for her dad, the one to keep in touch with the relatives in the old country.
      Barbara sold her home in Belgrade and for the next 18 years lived with her children, making her home at Regal, Minnesota with her daughter, Margaret, and taking turns staying at the other children's home in Regal, Wadena, Sauk Centre, Padua, Chicago, Hastings, Nebraska, and San Diego, California. She never interferred with their lives, was loved by the grandchildren, and helped along whenever she could. This sometimes proved hazardous--as one time, while feeding the cat in Chicago, she slipped and fell and broke her back; and another time, while getting ready to go to a 4-H meeting in Regal, she fell down the steps and broke her wrist. Both times she recovered, and neither accicent slowed her down for long.
      One of her favorite pasttimes was to sew linens for the mission churches. She would receive plain linens in the mail, and would embroider and crochet beautiful edgings and designs on them and then send them back to the mission.
      Barbara Biersdorf Peters, along with the Chladek family, donated the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph statues that stood on either side of the altar at the St. Anthony Church in Regal. Her Regal grandchildren then nicknamed her "Moneybags" and she took this teasing very good naturedly.
      At the age of 82, Barbara Biersdorf Peters died at the Sauk Centre Hospital in Sauk Centre, Minnesota. She had been staying at Al Peters home and suffered a heart attack. According to Bob Peters, grandson of Barbara Peters (1976), "The night she got sick, I had just gotten back from the service, and Grandma was there when I got there. Then at 1:00 a.m. I came home and went up the steps. Grandma (Barbara Biersdorf Peters) was coming out of her room and she was going to go down or go to the bathroom. She was really white, but I didn't think anything of it. The next morning I said to my ma, 'Gee, Grandma was up a lot last night.' I guess Ma investigated and said maybe we should send her to the hospital." She died a beautiful death, conscious to the end, and calmly telling her children where to find her important things and what to do with them, as a mother would talk to her children she had to be leaving for awhile.
      According to John Peters, son of Barbara Peters (1976), "I know the doctors asked to do an autopsy and I wasn't going to sign at first. I said, 'You know when people get that old--they're gong to have to die.' 'Yeah,' he said. It wasn't that. She had something and they wanted to find out because it might help the doctors, so I signed the papers. He said the heart was worn out like a worn out pump."
      Their oldest son, Alphonse, was their first child to die--about 9 months before his mother died, in 1953. His kind assistance to a fellow motorist having car trouble, led to his being fatally struck by a passing car.
      Leo Peters, the youngest son, died very suddenly at age 67 in 1970, in Florida, and Barbara, the baby of the family, was only 63 years old when cancer took her from her loved ones in San Diego, California in 1972.
      Marie, their first born, suffered a stroke and died at age 81, at her home in Hastings, Nebraska, in 1977.
      John, the 3rd oldest, enjoyed several years of retirement from his farm with his wife Ann, in Belgrade. He died on August 3, 1982.
      Herzl. Gruß Cecilia

Kommentar

• herby
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Guten Morgen Cecilia,

vielen Dank für Deine Nachtarbeit. Alles wie immer gut angekommen.
        Da werde ich mich jetzt mal einlesen...
        Vielen Dank und

viele Grüße
        Herbert

Kommentar

Lädt...
        X