• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Stanley Who
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Opa's Medal

Hello to All,

I am hoping someone can answer or point me in the right direction to find my question.

Some years ago my father after returning home from visiting his mother in Hamburg told me he had his father's war medal but at the time didn't say any more or show it to me. When going through his things after he passed away I found a Iron Cross 2nd Class from WW2, was this Opa's Medal?.

In all the things I remember of my father talking about the war for him and his family I had never heard of Opa having any medals.

I had a look at all the photos I have of Opa in uniform, not one has him in a position to see if there is a ribbon in the button hole, so no help there.

I inquired with the "WASt" hoping to get his military record which may have the answer. I have finally had a reply, from Das Bundesarchiv which give a little information but not about a medal but it does confirm some of the things my father told me about Opa. (have attached copy)

Things my father told me about Opa's war.

He did not join the Army at the start of the war but was a "Community Policeman" I think maybe like a warden, also he was a firefighter during the bombing raids and ended up having a permanent tan to his face and you could see where his helmet had shaded his head.
    Also he never was a "combat" soldier therefore my doubt about an Iron Cross 2ndc. Supposedly in Italy when "retreating" and driving an Ambulance he was stopped by other soldiers who wanted a lift, he told them all to disarm before riding in his ambulance. Father also said he was a POW in Italy and did not return home at least a year after the war. (confirmed by BA letter)

Also the Medal I found is slightly damaged, very dirty and has no ribbon. I know my father's family house was bombed out in Harburg and they went back after the war and went through the rubble and found items so is it possible the medal was there. Did soldiers leave their medals in a safe place like home or would they have it with them in the field?

Another odd item when going through my fathers things was a hand written note (my fathers hand writing) inside a book titled "Badges & Insignia of the Third Reich" was "north of Kholm 41-42 Demyansk). My father never mentioned where Opa was except Italy. I have a photo of Opa in uniform and on the back is written "Denmark, Christmas 42".

Thank you to all who have managed to read up to here, Stay safe and well
    Regards, Jan Tromp
    Angehängte Dateien
  • Moselaaner
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hallo Jan,
    hier erst einmal ein Link zum SHD (Sicherheitshilfsdienst) zu dem auch die Feuerwehr zählte: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicher...nd_Hilfsdienst
    Es würde sehr zur Aufklärung beitragen, wenn wir die Fotos des Großvaters hier sehen könnten. Das würde die Recherche erheblich vereinfachen. Vielleicht ergibt sich daraus ein Hinweis in Richtung Italien.
    Zur Medaille oder Orden: Neben dem Eisernen Kreuz gab es noch das Kriegsverdienstkreuz, welches auch für Verdienste unter Feindeinwirkung in der Heimat verliehen wurde. Dazu zählte zum Beispiel der Löscheinsatz während einer Bombardierung durch die Alliierten.

Viele Grüße
    Moselaaner

Kommentar

• sonki
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hier gibt es ein Buch das sich intensiv mit dem Luftschutz-Thema (SHD war Teil davon) auseinandersetzt: https://www.bbk.bund.de/DE/Service/F...Weltkrieg.html

Ein paar Zitate:
      Anläßlich der ersten Umgliederung der LS-Kräfte im Jahre 1942 -überführung des Sicherheits-und Hilfsdienstes 1. Ordnung in die Luftschutzpolizei und übernahme der SHD-Abteilungen (mot.) in die Luftwaffe als LS-Abteilungen (mot.) -wurden auch die LS-Gerätelager in die Luftwaffe übernommen.
      Ab 1942 war der zivile Luftschutz der Luftwaffe untergegliedert und somit Teil der operativen Kräfte. Es kam daher auch zu Einsätzen im Kriegsgebiet.

Für den Nachschub der in Italien kämpfenden deutschen Truppenverbände war die Erhaltung der Brennerbahn mit ihren zahlreichen Viadukten, insbesondere aber der großen Etschtalbrücke von ausschlaggebender Bedeutung. Ihre Erhaltung bis Kriegs-ende war nicht zuletzt das Verdienst der LS-Nebelabteilungen der Luftwaffe No. 8.
      Der SHD, als Teil des Luftschutz war '45 auch in Italien am Etschtal - Padua passt da ziemlich gut.

Aber das nur rein spekulativ.
      Слава Україні

Kommentar

• Basil
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Jan,

could you show us a picture of the medal?

"Community Policeman", maybe he was of the "Schutzpolizei der Gemeinden" or shorter "Gemeindepolizei"

If he was a POW in Italy, you should make a request to the ICRC.

Here is a description of the Luftschutzpolizei, former "Sicherheits- und Hilfsdienst", in the english Wikipedia.

Regards, Basil
        Zuletzt geändert von Basil; 01.05.2020, 10:47.
        Zimmer: Oberlausitz und Dresden; Stephanus: Zittau, Altenburg und Ronneburg
        Raum Zittau: Heidrich, Rudolph
        Erzgebirge: Uhlmann, Lieberwirth, Gläser, Herrmann
        Burgenlandkreis: Wachtler, Landmann, Schrön

Kommentar

• Stanley Who
          Erfahrener Benutzer

Thank you Moselaaner, Sonki and Basil for your ideas and leads, reading about the SHD it fits well with what my father told me of Opa and what he did during the war.

Here are pictures of the medal (both sides) as for pictures of Opa during WW2 may take a day or so as I have to dig through the old suitcase.

Thanks
          Jan
          Angehängte Dateien

Kommentar

• eifeler
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Jan,

it looks like EK II (Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse/Iron Cross, second class)

Best regards
            Dietmar (Blum)

Kommentar

Lädt...
            X