How to get most out of Austrian genealogy?

Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • milutinus123
    Erfahrener Benutzer

How to get most out of Austrian genealogy?

Hello!

I have been researching my ancestors for a while now and have managed to find (with baptism/marriage/death records) a lot of them in Vienna.
    I have used genteam.at to find them. I have looked at Lehmann address book to locate their addresses.

Now my question is; how do find more information about them?
    Are there any tips and tricks that are less known?
    Other sources than church books?
    Old photography galleries?

Or is it hopeless?

Thank you!
  • Sinhuber
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hallo,
    maybe you can find something in the newspapers, see
    ANNO-Suche ist die Volltext-Suchoberfläche der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek für historische Zeitungen und Zeitschriften. Derzeit sind rund 1,7 Millionen Ausgaben online durchsuchbar.

Best regards
    Christine

Kommentar

• Xtine
      Administrator

Hi,

do you know, that the churchbooks are online.
      Viele Grüße .................................. .
      Christine

.. .............
      Wer sich das Alte noch einmal vor Augen führt, um das Neue zu erkennen, der kann anderen ein Lehrer sein.
      (Konfuzius)

Kommentar

• milutinus123
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von Xtine Beitrag anzeigen
        Hi,

do you know, that the churchbooks are online.
        http://data.matricula-online.eu/de/oesterreich/
        Hey,

yes I do know, that's where I've got all the info from

Kommentar

• Zita

Hi milutinus,

I am sure there are a lot of things you could find in the archive of the city of Vienna https://www.wien.gv.at/kultur/archiv/.

As there are for example
          + Abhandlungen, Inventuren, Verlassenschaftsakte, Testamente (all of them were made - at different times in a different way - when somebody died)
          + Archivalien zur Zunft der Posamentierer und Bandmacher (e.g. guild laws)
          + historical photos
          + contracts e.g for marriages, for buying houses
          + land registers

The archive people are usually very helpful, so I would recommend to ask there for further information. Mention time, profession and place! Ask for the price in advance.

Zita

Kommentar

• milutinus123
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von Zita Beitrag anzeigen
            Hi milutinus,

I am sure there are a lot of things you could find in the archive of the city of Vienna https://www.wien.gv.at/kultur/archiv/.

As there are for example
            + Abhandlungen, Inventuren, Verlassenschaftsakte, Testamente (all of them were made - at different times in a different way - when somebody died)
            + Archivalien zur Zunft der Posamentierer und Bandmacher (e.g. guild laws)
            + historical photos
            + contracts e.g for marriages, for buying houses
            + land registers

The archive people are usually very helpful, so I would recommend to ask there for further information. Mention time, profession and place! Ask for the price in advance.

Zita

Thank you Zita, I will email them as soon as the corona is gone.

For example, do I write it like this?:

Heinrich Brunner son of Franz, Rechnungsratdirektor in Vienna, born in Geras 1 Aug 1866- died in Rabenstein 30 Jul 1936.

Ignaz Kaspar Gruber son of Bernhard, Gold and Silver engraver in Vienna, born in Vienna
            (Mariahilf) 27 Jan 1825- died 4 Jan 1899 in Vienna (Schottenfeld)

Bernhard Gruber son of Kaspar, Posamentirer in Vienna, born in Vienna (St. Ulrich) 14 Feb 1786

Kommentar

• Zita

Heinrich Brunner son of Franz, Rechnungsratdirektor in Vienna, born in Geras 1 Aug 1866- died in Rabenstein 30 Jul 1936.Did he live in Vienna or in Rabenstein? If he lived in Vienna you should add his last address, if he lived in Rabenstein you should contact the NÖ Landesarchiv (http://www.noe.gv.at/noe/Landesarchi...ngszeiten.html)
              This seems to be his last address: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...44&cat=1148422

Ignaz Kaspar Gruber son of Bernhard, Gold and Silver engraver in Vienna, born in Vienna
              (Mariahilf) 27 Jan 1825- died 4 Jan 1899 in Vienna (Schottenfeld) - address

Bernhard Gruber son of Kaspar, Posamentirer in Vienna, born in Vienna (St. Ulrich) 14 Feb 1786 - address and date of death
              Zuletzt geändert von Zita; 21.03.2020, 15:45.

Kommentar

• milutinus123
                Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von Zita Beitrag anzeigen
                Heinrich Brunner son of Franz, Rechnungsratdirektor in Vienna, born in Geras 1 Aug 1866- died in Rabenstein 30 Jul 1936.Did he live in Vienna or in Rabenstein? If he lived in Vienna you should add his last address, if he lived in Rabenstein you should contact the NÖ Landesarchiv (http://www.noe.gv.at/noe/Landesarchi...ngszeiten.html)
                This seems to be his last address: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...44&cat=1148422

(Mariahilf) 27 Jan 1825- died 4 Jan 1899 in Vienna (Schottenfeld) - address

Bernhard Gruber son of Kaspar, Posamentirer in Vienna, born in Vienna (St. Ulrich) 14 Feb 1786 - address and date of death

Thank you,

So it is necessary to have the date of death?

Also, how did you find that paper where it says his adress?

Kommentar

• Zita

Hi,

yes, you need to give them more information especially for the early ancestors. Registration started slowly at around 1850 but was mandatory by law not before 1908. I found the registration card because I had known that these cards are online for changes in registration between 1930 and 1940.

If you can state
                  + the date of death they can perhaps find sth about the legacy
                  + the date of marriage: a marriage contract
                  + the address: a purchase contract

Zita

Kommentar

• carinthiangirl
                    Erfahrener Benutzer

Birth of Heinrich Viktor Franz Lorenz Brunner on Aug 1, 1866 in Geras - 2nd entry:
                    father Franz Brunner, k.k. Notary in Geras, from Bonitz (Bohunice) in Moravia (Czech Rep.) and of Theresia, daughter of Ferdinand and Theresia Neubauer;
                    mother Pauline , daughter of Lorenz ?...., merchant in Zmrim, Moravia and of Antonia, daughter of Josef and ?.... Kremser from ?....

Death (3rd entry No 17) of Brunner Heinrich, cath., Accounting director in pension, age 70, currently in summer vacation in the village Au 39, permanent residence: Vienna 18th, Währinger Gürtel 59; Born in Geras, Lower Austria on August 1st, 1866, responsible to Vienna, wife Karoline nee Gruber, married since June 29th, 1893
                    Cause of death: paralysis of the heart, suddenly died
                    was transferred with a body passport from the district authority of St. Pölten on July 30, 1936, number 7, 17/147 on July 30, 1936 to the funeral in Vienna, Gersthofer Cemetery
                    Zuletzt geändert von carinthiangirl; 07.04.2020, 15:44.

Kommentar

• carinthiangirl
                      Erfahrener Benutzer

Cemetery Gersthof (Möhnergasse 1, 1180 Vienna)
                      Heinrich Brunner, age 69
                      Burial date Aug 3, 1936
                      Grave at:
                      Group 2, row 11, Number 64
                      right for the grave until Oct 31, 2015
                      buried in same grave:
                      Brunner Carolina, age 85
                      Seehofer Josef
                      Seehofer Pauline, age 55

Kommentar

• carinthiangirl
                        Erfahrener Benutzer

Birth Ignaz Gruber, Jan 27, 1827, Mariahilf, Vienna (3rd entry)
                        father Bernhard Gruber, mother Anna Löbl

Death Ignaz Gruber, Jan 4, 1899, engraver, age 73 (4th entry)
                        cause of death Pneumonia, buried Jan 6, 1899 on Central Cemetery Vienna

Central Cemetery Vienna (Simmeringer Hauptstraße 234, 1110 Vienna):
                        Gruber Ignaz, age 73
                        Grave: Group 71, Group enlargement B, Row 14, Number 72
                        Right for grave until Graveyard duration
                        Buried in same grave:
                        Dadak Erich Maria Josef, born June 21, 1923, age 89
                        Dadak Josef, age 92
                        Dadak Rosina, age 92
                        Gruber Ignaz, age 70
                        Gruber Karoline, age 75
                        Zuletzt geändert von carinthiangirl; 07.04.2020, 16:08.

Kommentar

• carinthiangirl
                          Erfahrener Benutzer

Birth Bernhard Gruber 14, Feb, 1786
                          anywhere here (hard to read): http://data.matricula-online.eu/de/o.../01-36/?pg=890
                          Zuletzt geändert von carinthiangirl; 07.04.2020, 16:42.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                          X