• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • ParibasWest
    Erfahrener Benutzer

DNA testing in Germany for a non-citizen

Hello,
    I submitted my DNA to Ancestry in the US but I have not received any links to anyone in Germany. I believe that the testing is limited but that is not helpful. My father was born in Germany and I think I could have many connections.
    Does any one have ideas on how I can be tested in Germany?
    Thank you,
    Gloria
  • Mia
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Gloria,
    DNA-testing in Germany isn't as common as in the US. Only a low percentage of people already did it. I think in some years it will be more accepted here in Germany. Now it's in its infancy.

Maybe that's the reason you didn't receive any links to anyone in Germany. It also could be limited, as you said, but you can spread your DNA by uploading your raw DNA to other companies (e. g. Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, GedMatch). You can see on the link below which companies allow the DNA transfer from the Company you did the DNA-testing.

Somehow, I missed the announcement that Family Tree DNA now accepts uploads from MyHeritage. Other people may have missed a few announcements too, or don’t understand the options, so I’ve cre…

You can give it a try

Best regards
    Mia

I did a bit of a research and discovered that it's not possible for anyone living in Germany to do the AncestryDNA-test. If someone in Germany want to do it they have to use a contact address in one of the countries who are able to do the AncestryDNA testing (e. g. Netherlands, Belgium, Austria). So it's no wonder you didn't find a link to someone in Germany.
    Zuletzt geändert von Mia; 03.02.2018, 10:19. Grund: Nachtrag

Kommentar

• Cardamom
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Gloria,
      I agree to what Mia says. Rare matches with germans, also for me. I did testing with ftDNA and uploaded to myHeritage and gedmatch.
      But: it will be better the next years, the number of people testing in Germany will increase. So we have to be patient.
      And if the people you are related to will do any DNA testing, its always kind of lottery ...
      best regards
      Cornelia

Kommentar

• Weltenwanderer

Hello,

on the one hand, genealogy is not as big a thing as it is in the US, on the other hand, DNA testing does not have as much of an appeal in Germany, both due to privacy concerns and because stuff like "find out if you are umpteen percent Irish" simply wouldn't work here. There is no widespread advertising for DNA analysis, and I guess it also must be quite difficult to market this in Germany.
        Uploading your results to websites that are more frequently visited by Germans, such as MyHeritage, may yield better results.

Cheers,
        Weltenwanderer
        Zuletzt geändert von Weltenwanderer; 03.02.2018, 12:50.
        Kreis Militsch: Latzel, Gaertner, Meißner, Drupke, Mager, Stiller
        Kreis Tarnowitz / Beuthen: Gebauer, Parusel, Michalski, Wilk, Olesch, Majer, Blondzik, Kretschmer, Wistal, Skrzypczyk, von Ziemietzky, von Manowsky
        Brieg: Parusel, Latzel, Wuttke, Königer, Franke
        Trebnitz: Stahr, Willenberg, Oelberg, Zimmermann, Bittermann, Meißner, Latzel
        Kreis Grünberg / Freystadt: Meißner, Hummel

Mein Stammbaum bei GEDBAS

Kommentar

• OliverS
          Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von ParibasWest Beitrag anzeigen
          I submitted my DNA to Ancestry in the US but I have not received any links to anyone in Germany.
          Yes Mia, Ancestry do not offer the DNA Kit in Germany, therefore there are nearly 0 results in DNA Ancestry out of Germany

Gloria, upload your DNA raw data on www.gedmatch.com and on www.familytreedna.com and I think you will get some german ones. I´m also there and found a lot of 2nd Cousins (((and for sure 3/4/5/6... and so on)))

regards
          Oliver
          Zuletzt geändert von OliverS; 03.02.2018, 18:29.
          Dauersuchen:

1) Frau ?? verwitwerte WIECHERT, zwischen 1845 und 1852 neu verheiratete SPRINGER, wohnhaft 1852 in Leysuhnen/Leisuhn
          2) GESELLE, geboren ca 1802, Schäfer in/aus Kiewitz bei Schwerin a.d. Warthe und seine Frau Henkel
          3) WIECHERT, geboren in Alikendorf (Großalsleben) später in Schönebeck

Kommentar

• ParibasWest
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Thank you for the helpful responses. I had hoped to find my cousins since I cannot obtain information on my father's sister due to privacy laws.
            Regards, Gloria

Kommentar

• OliverS
              Erfahrener Benutzer

If uploaded, send your gedmatch ID, we can compare

Where did your family came from? Give us some details and we can check if we can help you.
              Dauersuchen:

1) Frau ?? verwitwerte WIECHERT, zwischen 1845 und 1852 neu verheiratete SPRINGER, wohnhaft 1852 in Leysuhnen/Leisuhn
              2) GESELLE, geboren ca 1802, Schäfer in/aus Kiewitz bei Schwerin a.d. Warthe und seine Frau Henkel
              3) WIECHERT, geboren in Alikendorf (Großalsleben) später in Schönebeck

Kommentar

Lädt...
              X