neue Beiträge
  • Stanley Who
    Erfahrener Benutzer

[gelöst] Verstorbenen Inspector

Jahr, aus dem der Begriff stammt: 1910
    Region, aus der der Begriff stammt: Hamburg

Hello Everybody,

Verstorbenen Inspector

Firstly I have only a small knowledge of German, I came across this occupation while searching and reading civil records and caught my curiosity. I tried to search sites with German occupation meanings but found no answers.

Is someone able to tell me what the job really entails.

My silly mind has a picture of someone poking with a stick to see if they are really dead. lol Or is it something more like a Coroner.

Kind regards
    Jan
  • Huber Benedikt
    Erfahrener Benutzer

I think , this expression is out of context.
    I suggest somewhat like:
    des verstorbenen Inspektors // the deceased inspector´s
    Do you have a scan or at least the full sentence where this expression is in.
    Zuletzt geändert von Huber Benedikt; 08.02.2019, 10:45.
    Ursus magnus oritur
    Rursus agnus moritur

Kommentar

• Anna Sara Weingart
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Jan
      The word "inspector" does not express a special activity, but a rank. Especially in a career in the civil service. An inspector often had an function in the administrative.
      Also, there had been inspectors in the postal service and in the railway administration.
      Thus, we cannot say, if your man worked in the city hall, at the post office or at the railway station. Or at a police station as "police inspector". Or somewhere else.

But we can say, that an inspector had a rank in a supervising position. He had to control, that his subordinates worked correctly.

The word comes from Latin "inspectare" = to observe, to keep an eye on
      Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 08.02.2019, 13:17.
      Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• AKocur
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi Jan,

I suspect that Huber Benedikt had the right idea, and that "verstorbener" isn't part of the occupation but simply means that the person was already deceased at that time.

Nevertheless, if an occupation with the name of "Verstorbeneninspektor" (no spaces within long German words!) had existed, it would probably indeed mean something similar to coroner. However, the word we use for coroner is "Leichenbeschauer" or "Totenbeschauer." (lit. translates to "one who looks at/examines the corpse/dead").

Greetings,
        Antje

Kommentar

• Anna Sara Weingart
          Erfahrener Benutzer

Yes, that's clear.
          Jan, in your source, there seems to be a sentence, like: "Anna, widow of the deceased inspector Robert Fischer" = "Anna, Witwe des verstorbenen Inspector Robert Fischer"

A word like "Verstorbenen-Inspector" or "Verstorbeneninspektor" didn't exist in Germany
          Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 08.02.2019, 16:18.
          Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• Stanley Who
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello All,

I tried to find the certificate I had read but can not find it now.

I think it was a death cert., it was a typed entry not hand written so was very clear to read. There was a space between the two words before the name of the informant "Richard Ratzmann" at the start of the entry.

Regards
            Jan

Kommentar

• Stanley Who
              Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello everybody,

I have come across the certificate that I was referring too, so here is a copy if you wish to view and comment on.

Regards
              Jan
              Angehängte Dateien

Kommentar

• thoddy
                Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi Jan,

it is how Anna Sara describes in theme #5

it is a sentence:

registered on oral display of the father of the deceased inspector Richard Lüttensee, Hamburg Rossausweg 2

Greetings
                Thorsten

suche alles über die Familien:
                KOBARG, JENSEN, STARKE

Kommentar

• Anna Sara Weingart
                  Erfahrener Benutzer

No Thorsten, that's not correct.
                  Inspector Richard Lüttensee isn't deceased. It's his son, who died.

Translation:
                  "Entered [or registered] on oral statement of the father of the deceased, inspector Richard Lüttensee, Hamburg Rossausweg 2."

The comma between deceased (Verstorbenen) and inspector is missing in the German sentence. It was a failure the writer made.

Gerd Ernst Richard is the deceased, and his father Richard is the inspector.
                  Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 17.04.2019, 14:43.
                  Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• Kasstor
                    Erfahrener Benutzer

Richard died July 27, 1955.

Thomas
                    FN Pein (Quickborn vor 1830), FN Hinsch (Poppenbüttel, Schenefeld), FN Holle (Hamburg, Lüchow?), FN Ludwig/Niesel (Frankenstein/Habelschwerdt) FN Tönnies (Meelva bei Karuse-Estland, später Hamburg), FN Lindloff (Altona, Lüneburg, Suderburg)

Ceterum censeo progeniem hominum esse deminuendam

Kommentar

• PetraNeu
                      Erfahrener Benutzer

Anna Sara made the perfect translation

LG Petra

Kommentar

• Anna Sara Weingart
                        Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von Anna Sara Weingart Beitrag anzeigen
                        ... The comma between deceased (Verstorbenen) and inspector is missing in the German sentence. It was a failure the writer made. ...
                        But probably my German ist not perfect. My statement about a missing comma wasn't correct. The writer didn't made a failure, I think.
                        Or is somebody here, who can say, if there had to be a comma or not, in the German sentence?
                        Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 17.04.2019, 14:57.
                        Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• Basil
                          Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello,

Anna Sara, i think, there had to be a comma, because profession and name of the father is an insertion. (Beisatz, Einschub, Apposition)

According to the 1920 and 1935 address books of Hamburg, Richard Lüttensee was an official at the State Quays Administration (Kaiverwaltung). In 1935 the Quays Adminstration became part of a company later known as the Hamburger Hafen und Lager Aktiengesellschaft HHLA (Hamburg port and storage company). I can't find the employer of R. Lüttensee in address books later than 1935, but he is still an official (Verwaltungsinspektor, administrative inspector).

Greetings
                          Basil
                          Angehängte Dateien
                          Zuletzt geändert von Basil; 17.04.2019, 20:47. Grund: kleine Korrekturen
                          Zimmer: Oberlausitz und Dresden; Stephanus: Zittau, Altenburg und Ronneburg
                          Raum Zittau: Heidrich, Rudolph
                          Erzgebirge: Uhlmann, Lieberwirth, Gläser, Herrmann
                          Burgenlandkreis: Wachtler, Landmann, Schrön

Kommentar

• thoddy
                            Erfahrener Benutzer

wenn der Standesbeamte das Komma gesetzt hätte, wäre es eindeutiger gewesen. Ich hatte das so interpretiert, dass er nur das -s bei Inspektor vergessen hätte. Dann hätte der Satz eine andere Bedeutung (= der Vater des verstorbenen Inspektors). Aber Basil hat das ja aufgeklärt, da Richard erst 1955 verstorben ist.

Daran sieht man das Schwierige der deutschen Sprache

Gruß
                            Thorsten

suche alles über die Familien:
                            KOBARG, JENSEN, STARKE

Kommentar

• AKocur
                              Erfahrener Benutzer

Zitat von Anna Sara Weingart Beitrag anzeigen
                              But probably my German ist not perfect. My statement about a missing comma wasn't correct. The writer didn't made a failure, I think.
                              Or is somebody here, who can say, if there had to be a comma or not, in the German sentence?
                              Looking at the rules for comma in the Duden, I'd say this is rule D107, which pretty much says 'you can put a comma, if you want, but you don't need to'. But this is the new grammar rules; not sure how the rule was for this in 1939. If I remember learning the new rules in school correctly (they switched system during my school time), there were a lot of cases where putting a comma became voluntary where it before was mandatory.
                              I would definitely advocate in favor of putting a comma in this case, as without it, it's a little bit unclear who is meant here (though when looking at the entire document, it's clear who is meant).

LG,
                              Antje

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X