• Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • Karl88
    Benutzer

Request from Brazil

Greetings!

I wish I could use more help from already posted data, but unfortunately my German knowledge is still little, so I hope you can kindly help me with my request in this session of the forum.

I'm looking for information about Karl Kalinke. He is the father of my great grandfather, and the data we have in a small family history is that he came from Polish pomeranian and immigrated to Brazil in the 1860 decade.

The data that I'm looking for is about Karl Kalinke. I suspect this could be the one: Kalinke, Karl Wilhelm (V. d 1) * 12.08.1820 Eckersdorf/Namslau (DG 112 S. 238).

Could you guys help me?
    Thanks in advance.
  • gki
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Karl88,

I think it would be a huge coincidence if somebody had data on Karl Wilhelm Kalinke.

Do you know if he was catholic or protestant?

There's a document about the church records here:

It says that the protestant church books have been lost (world war 2 I guess) and that the catholic books exist in the church book archive of Breslau. But they do not cover baptisms from 1820, unfortunately. It covers mariages from 1850, though.

The Standesamt records for Eckerstorf have also been lost, but this was post 187x anyway.
    Gruß
    gki

Kommentar

• Karl88
      Benutzer

Hello, Gki. Thanks For your reply.

I strongly believe that he was protestant, since my whole family still is until now.

In our short family story all we have is that his name was Karl Kalinke, he arrived in Brazil around 1860 and he was married to a lady called Karolina. Also, in the family research they say that they came from Polish Pomerania, but a quick research in the genealogy online sources I found that all the Kalinkes come from Schlesien. It's all pretty confusing.

Kommentar

• zimba123
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Karl,

I quickly checked (among others) the World war I military records database and found the name Kalinke in Radonsk (Flatow). At least this is in Pomerania although this is 50 years later... So just a hint. Google finds more Kalinkes in Stolp and Wolgast.

Best regards,
        Simone
        Zuletzt geändert von zimba123; 01.03.2013, 21:48.
        Viele Grüße
        Simone

Kommentar

• Karl88
          Benutzer

Thanks for the help, Simone.

Yeah, that's something already. But what bugs me is that my grandfather and his brothers and sister speak German and not Polish. I think the language they used to speak in Pomerania was pomerish, which some people still speak nowadays in Brazil in some regions where immigrants from Pomerania settled back in the day. Maybe that's also a hint. But I'm not sure how things were with all those languages at that time. If documents had to be written in standard German or they were written in dialects also.

What language they spoke in Schlesien at the time? Since all the documents we can find with that website you posted are in German, I supposed it makes more sense that Karl Kalinke came from that region, once his children and grandchildren learnt German as their first language.

Anyway, it's intriguing. I'm new in this search and everything you guys say helps me in a way or another.

Kommentar

• gki
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi Karl,

there Germans all over what is now Poland, so I would not pay too much attention to the language issue. Official documents would be written in standard German, not dialect.

I think in order to find more information about Karl Kalinke in Germany, you should first try to obtain more information (or give us the information that you already have) in Brazil.

Some questions that come to mind are:

- When did he die?
            - Which age was he when he died?
            - What profession did Karl have?
            - Where did he marry Karolina? Is her maiden name known?
            - Did they bring children to Brazil or where all known children born there?
            - In which years were the Children born?
            - Were you able to establish when they exactly entered Brazil?
            - Where did they enter Brazil?
            - Where in Brazil did they live?
            - Where did you get information about Karl Wilhelm Kalinke born in 1820 in Eckerstorf?
            - Were there other immigrants who were from the same area as Karl?
            Gruß
            gki

Kommentar

• Karl88
              Benutzer

Danke, Gki.

I will try to find those informations.

Kommentar

• Kasstor
                Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi

here is something in Portuguese ( or do you say Brazilian ) http://pessoal.utfpr.edu.br/kalinke/...ia_familia.pdf . As there was a son Joao born in 1892 I think Karl * 1820 cannot be the father of the children mentioned.

Regards,

Thomas
                FN Pein (Quickborn vor 1830), FN Hinsch (Poppenbüttel, Schenefeld), FN Holle (Hamburg, Lüchow?), FN Ludwig/Niesel (Frankenstein/Habelschwerdt) FN Tönnies (Meelva bei Karuse-Estland, später Hamburg), FN Lindloff (Altona, Lüneburg, Suderburg)

Ceterum censeo progeniem hominum esse deminuendam

Kommentar

• Karl88
                  Benutzer

Yeah, Thomas. You're right. João is my grandfather's father. And your math is right.

I will try to contact the cousin who did that small research you linked in here to get more information, but indeed, with a son born in 1892, he probably wasn't born in 1820. There are two Karl Kalinkes from Silesien according to this link http://www.gca.ch/Genealogie/Oels/Seite_W.htm

One was born in 1859 and the other in 1820. But I don't think it's none of them. I just contacted the cousin who wrote that document Thomas posted and asked him for info about Karl and Carolina. I'm waiting for his reply.

Thanks for your help so far and for being so friendly.
                  Zuletzt geändert von Karl88; 03.03.2013, 03:54.

Kommentar

• gki
                    Erfahrener Benutzer

Kalinke, Karl Friedrich Wilhelm * Wabnitz, 31.3.1859, Tischler-Meister zu Landsberg/W. oo Wabnitz 25.7.1887 Ida Kellert * 1866 (VI e 4 --> VII h / DG 112 S. 242)
                    This Karl was a carpenter in Landsberg/W. by trade. He was born in Wabnitz in 1859 and married Ida Kellert in 1887 in Wabnitz. This probably means that any children were born in Landsberg. It is of course possible that Ida died young (or that they divorced), that Karl married Karolina and emigrated to Brazil. You should see if you can find him again in Landsberg.

I am not sure what the first part of the citation means. "DG" is Deutsches Geschlechterbuch. That means that somebody has published a genealogy about this family in that series. I am unsure if 112 really means "volume 112".

Kalinke, Karl Wilhelm (V. d 1) * 12.08.1820 Eckersdorf/Namslau (DG 112 S. 238)
                    That's the Karl we talked about earlier. He was born in Eckersdorf, there is no more info given. Again unsure about the citation. No idea what "V. d 1" means.

Again, I think that it not helpful to investigate random Karls one finds on the internet when there is still information lacking from Brazil.
                    Gruß
                    gki

Kommentar

• mumof2
                      Erfahrener Benutzer

The book "Deutsches Geschlechterbuch" Band 112 is equal with "Schlesisches Geschlechterbuch" Band 2. I found it here

under Nr. 39.
                      I can't open it, sorry, but maybe someone else can. Good luck

mum of
                      Viele Grüße
                      mum of 2

Kommentar

• gki
                        Erfahrener Benutzer

Thanks! I've had a look: the younger Karl Kalinke did not emigrate to Brazil, he had five daughters who were all born in Silesia, the last one 1906.
                        Gruß
                        gki

Kommentar

• gki
                          Erfahrener Benutzer

The national archives of Brazil apparently have lists of people arriving in Brazil:

You have given us a date of 1860 for the immigration (which is before the records start), but if Joao was born in 1892, that date may not be quite correct and it might be worthwhile to browse these records from 1892 backwards after you established 1892 as the correct date of birth.
                          Gruß
                          gki

Kommentar

• Kasstor
                            Erfahrener Benutzer

Hi,

but Julio is the eldest son I think ( without known YOB) so maybe the perod of time can be narrowed.

Regards,

Thomas
                            FN Pein (Quickborn vor 1830), FN Hinsch (Poppenbüttel, Schenefeld), FN Holle (Hamburg, Lüchow?), FN Ludwig/Niesel (Frankenstein/Habelschwerdt) FN Tönnies (Meelva bei Karuse-Estland, später Hamburg), FN Lindloff (Altona, Lüneburg, Suderburg)

Ceterum censeo progeniem hominum esse deminuendam

Kommentar

• Karl88
                              Benutzer

I'm still waiting the family member who did that research you found online answer me with the informations he has on Karl Kalinke and Caroline. Meanwhile i will check the information on the links Gki posted.

Thanks once again

Kommentar

Lädt...
                              X