• MvB
    Neuer Benutzer

[gelöst] Mahr in 't Hessen Darmstadse

Name des gesuchten Ortes: Mahr
    Zeit/Jahr der Nennung: ~1762
    Ungefähre oder vermutete Lage/Region: Hessen, Darmstadt
    Ich habe die Datenbanken zur Ortssuche abgefragt [ja/nein]: nein

Hello everybody,

My deepest apologies that my German is very bad, even though my direct ancenstors are German. I hope you are still willing to help me.

My direct ancestor Johannes Becker got married in Opijnen, the Netherlands in the year 1782.

Please see this wedding registration attached.

In Dutch, it reads:
    "Johannes Bekker, J.M. gebooren te Mahr in 't Hessen Darmstadse"

Translation:
    "Johannes Bekker, young man born in Mahr in the area of Hessen Darmstadt"

Does anyone know this place Mahr and can also point me in the direction to find a trace of Johannes Bekker from Mahr?

Many thanks in advance
    Angehängte Dateien
  • Anna Sara Weingart
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello,
    the area we have to search, is that of brown color in this map:

The Landgrafschaft Hessen-Darmstadt
    Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 28.05.2019, 15:35.
    Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• Anna Sara Weingart
      Erfahrener Benutzer

Now, I found the place

OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open license.
      Zuletzt geändert von Anna Sara Weingart; 28.05.2019, 15:40.
      Viele Grüße

Kommentar

• MvB
        Neuer Benutzer

Hi Anna,

Sorry for my late reaction, but thank you for your help!

Hopefully there are possibilities to further investigate over the internet, thank you so much.

Kommentar

Hi there,
          I live near Maar, if you want to know anything about the area etc. Let me know.
          Regards

Kommentar

• MvB
            Neuer Benutzer

Zitat von Wynne Beitrag anzeigen
            Hi there,
            I live near Maar, if you want to know anything about the area etc. Let me know.
            Regards
            Hi Wynne,

Thanks for your help. So far I have not found any source yet to further investigate. FamilySearch seems to have the archive but are only available in the US. Once I learn more, I might ask you things about the area.

Good to know.

Best regards,

Kommentar

• BjörnM
              Benutzer

There's an online archive available which consists of numerous churchbooks of the evangelian as well as the lutherian church in the area of the former german nation dating from the early 19th century back to the mid 17th century.

Link: Archion

There you can find churchbooks of today's city Lauterbach, which belongs to Landeskirche Hessen-Nassau. Those churchbooks consist of entries from the close by rural suburbs of Lauterbach, including those of the village of Maar, which in older scripts is referred to as Mahr. That should be your place actually.

Backside no. 1: The archive's service is pay-only. You need to buy at least a month's pass. But if you can give more profound data on which informations you are looking for, someone might look it up for you. A lot of people around in this forum do owe a pass to access the database at Archion.

Backside no. 2: You won't find entries of roman-catholic or german-catholic communities there (just in case your ancestor were former catholics). For catholic churchbooks in the german area you can check Matricula Online. But that database is just at its start actually, so not many books already available there. But at least it is free of charge.

Addendum: I just checked myself. Strange... the Archion archive only consists of baptizings in and around Lauterbach from 1639 to 1681 as well as from 1761 to 1875. BUT what would be the time frame of your concern isn't available. If your ancestor married 1782 he is supposed to have been at least 20 years or elder of age... so I assume he was born before 1762... but no data between 1681 and 1761 in the archive. At least, I haven't found any... Sorry, man...
              Zuletzt geändert von BjörnM; 15.06.2019, 00:26.

Kommentar

• MvB
                Neuer Benutzer

Hi Björn,

Thank you for your help so far and pointing me in this direction.

I do not know much about Johannes Bekker, except that he married in 1782 with Jannetje de Keizer in Opijnen (small village) in the Dutch province Gelderland.
                They had three children in the 1780's.
                His wife died in 1785 after which Johannes Bekker married again with a German woman named Margaretha Brauns in 1801. This was also in the Netherlands.

The name Bekker was very quickly changed within the next generations into the Dutch "Bakker" which is one of the most common names in the Netherlands. Because of this, a German ancestry wasn't really anticipated, but makes it interesting.

However it is difficult to investigate further. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Kommentar

Lädt...
                X