Wanckermann- Prussian, Infantry Regiment 28 ( Gen. Friedrich L. Von Rüts )

Einklappen
X

• Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge
  • rempage
    Benutzer

Wanckermann- Prussian, Infantry Regiment 28 ( Gen. Friedrich L. Von Rüts )

Hello All,

Apologies for writing this post in English. Hello. My ancestor Peter Wanckermann ( Wankermann ) was an musketeer in 1794/95 in a Prussian army, Infantry Regiment 28 ( Gen. Friedrich L. Von Rüts ) , in Brieg - Silesia. He was part of company von Balvin. I know that regiment took part in a war with Polish insurgents and took over the city of Krakau. I could only find his military marriage record in Brieg but I cannot find his death record. There is no information about the Peter Wanckermann parents or his birthplace. He might died somewhere at the battlefield. His wife remarried in 1803 in Repten.

I wonder, where are the roots of the rare Wanckermann surname. It is definitely not a common surname in Upper Silesia. Where Infantry Regiment 28 conscripted the soldiers from?

Many Thanks

Adam
  • Manni1970
    Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Adam!

Zitat von rempage Beitrag anzeigen
    Where Infantry Regiment 28 conscripted the soldiers from?
    The Prussian soliders came from the counties of Brieg, Kreuzburg and Ohlau in Silesia. But that was only one part. There were also foreign soldiers, maybe from Austria, France, Switzerland or from Rhineland, Hesse, Saxony - no one knows, cause the lists of the members of the regiment (Stammrollen) were destroyed by the RAF in April 1945.

Greetings
    Manni

Kommentar

• rempage
      Benutzer

Manni many thanks. That is what I was afraid of. I guess I need to look into the metrical books in surround parishes.

Kommentar

• Manni1970
        Erfahrener Benutzer

Adam,

it's highly unlikely that our friend Wankelmann comes from Silesia. I quess, he was a Bavarian.

Prussia sent officers e.g. to Rhineland, Hesse, Saxony or Bavaria at that time to recruit new soldiers.

Peter married in the civil-catholic church of Brieg (called Castle Church) his Johanna from Repten in Uppersilesia. The lutherian military priest of RG 28 gave his permission (at that time called "Dimissoriale, abbreviation "D" in your parishrecord) and made a short notice in his military parish register. She war the daughter of Valentin Schroeder, Schretter etc. Valentin was a Gerber. Other sources known him as a Schneider in Repten.

Peter married before his regiment went out of Brieg to fight against the Poles in South Prussia. The first battle was in June 1794. I don't believe that Peter met his Johanna in Repten, Beuthen or wherever in Upper Silesia. No, Johanna was in Brieg, maybe she had relatives there. After Peters death she went back to Repten and married on 3. Februray 1803 Heinrich Beranke, a Schneider like her father.

Have you checked the military parish register of IR 28, here deaths, from 1779-1807, mormon-film-number 70822, to find Peter's death-record?

Pozdrowienia
        Manni

Kommentar

• rempage
          Benutzer

Many thanks again. Oddly Johanna gave birth in Repten to Peter Ludwik in 1795.07.27 so he was alive at the time. I am still looking through the IR 28 set of registers- it is very chaotic.

I have found something else though - looks like a birth of Johann Schretter in Brieg (evangelical church) but the writing is truly horrible:

Kommentar

• eifeler
            Erfahrener Benutzer

Hello Rempage,

ref. Manni1970's answer: "Valentin was a Gerber. Other sources known him as a Schneider in Repten" Gerber = tanner; Schneider = tailor.

Regards
            Der Eifeler

Kommentar

• rempage
              Benutzer

Zitat von eifeler Beitrag anzeigen
              Hello Rempage,

ref. Manni1970's answer: "Valentin was a Gerber. Other sources known him as a Schneider in Repten" Gerber = tanner; Schneider = tailor.

Regards
              Der Eifeler

Many thanks Eifeler

Kommentar

Lädt...
              X