Thema: FN Neikes
Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen
Alt 30.08.2020, 22:42
Martijn1 Martijn1 ist offline
Benutzer

Standard

Geehrter Liste,
In previous contributions, I assumed Neikes and variations to be phonetically Neekes. In addition, I assumed the meaning of Neikes to be “deaths” or plural of “dead”, based on altniederfrankish.

Now I add the Latin word Necus, noun and plural of Nex; “deaths” and “dead” respectively. As I don’t see a fundamental difference between the altniederfrankische and latin words, not even phonetically, I have to assume that the word neikes by itself must have been in vogue longer i.e. even before the altniederfrankische timeframe, now including a Roman timeframe. Given the name variants in the Niederrhine area, I would like to specifically mention Nix (phonetically ibidum Neeks) which may be equated to the singular Nex.

This begs the question as to why there are so many variants (as well as frequency) of the name in the area between the Meuse and Rhine. Hence, time for a cautious hypothesis. Do we see an echo of survivors of the genocide by Caesar on the Eburonen (53-51 BC)? A people which in his perception was dead, a people on which he in effect put a “damnatio memoriae” [1], attempting to exterminate them in three campaigns, and erase them form historic record. Yet people survived, mingled with the new habitants the Tungri, but carrying their historic experience in name.

Looking forward to hear,
Best,
Martijn

[1] p.23, Roymans, Nico (2004). Ethnic Identity and Imperial Power: The Batavians in the Early Roman Empire. Amsterdam University Press.